Autumn’s here and apples abound. But we’re done with the apple crumbles and apple brownies and the apple-cinnamon sinful combos. We need something much more stimulating…flavours that are unique and textures that titillate palates. Keeping this in mind we approached veteran pastry chef Manish Khanna, founder and partner at premium dessert bars Noir and Brownie Point to share a futuristic dessert curated around apples.
Says Chef Khanna, “Apple with its multi-nutritional benefits is a fruit which has been limited to just an apple pie or an apple crumble when it comes to desserts. I have tried to make it more appealing to the millennials by retaining the flavour profile and presenting it in a whole new avatar as – Mascarpone Mousse with Green Apple Nutmeg Crumble.”
- Green apples – 500 gms
- Water – 200 ml
- Sugar – 100 gms
- Nutmeg powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla sponge a few slices
Ingredients for Mousse:
- Mascarpone cheese – 250 gms
- Gelatin – 10 gms
- Water – 40 ml
- Whipped cream – 250 ml
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
- Icing sugar – 25gms
Ingredients for Crumble:
- Butter – 50 gms
- Icing sugar – 25 gms
- Flour – 100 gms
- Chopped Oats – 20 gms
- Peel and stew the apples with water and sugar. Once done, add nutmeg powder, cream mascarpone cheese and icing sugar.
- Add the gelatin processed with water and vanilla essence, mix it well.
- Gently fold in cream and freeze it in silicon molds till it sets hard.
- For crumble, sieve flour and icing sugar, add chopped oats and mix well. Take cold butter and cut into the flour till it resembles bread crumbs. Transfer on a silpan on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 mins in a preheated 180 deg celsius oven till golden brown.
- To assemble for the final presentation, cut a round of the vanilla sponge same as the size of the silicon mold.
- Unmold the mascarpone mousse and keep on the sponge. Spoon the compote on the mousse and top that with the golden crumble. You can decorate it with chocolate rings or garnishes
Relish & Be Merry!