With the Indian New Year of Ugadi and Gudi Padva just round the corner, Executive Chef Dinesh Mhatre from Hilton Mumbai International Airport teaches us to make Blueberry Phirni, a traditional creamy delight laden with a contemporary touch of blueberries.
“Blueberry Phirni is my twisted rendition to this otherwise regular sweet dish. In this special version of phirni, blueberries are chopped and mixed in the rice-milk mixture and are then left to chill in the refrigerator. This phirni will be a sweet and fruity dessert that will make you come back for more,” says Chef Mhatre.
- Rice 150 gm
- Sugar 150 gm
- Blueberry 150 gm
- Milk 1 liter
- Pistachio 50 gm
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 3 hours. Then grind it to a thick paste and keep it aside
- Soak saffron in warm water
- In a thick deep pan, pour milk and boil for 10 minutes
- Add saffron and the rice paste and stir until it attains one-string consistency. Then add the sugar and allow it to boil.
- Remove from the flame and allow to cool it
- After cooling, add half cut blue berries. Mix well and store in the refrigerator
- Serve chilled garnished with pistachio and more blueberries
Happy New Year!